Friday, November 03, 2006

Happy days are here again.

When I hid the cassette tape
You should have known
All the secrets were to be told one day
Answering machine messages left
No one calls when you have a day off
And everyone calls you when you go check the mail
I am the one with all the right answers
With no one to sing to
I am the one with all the wrong friends
With no one to hold onto

Bedrooms and kitchens
Dens and living rooms
I’ll make my place in the bathroom
Hunched over the toilet
Fingers, hand through the back of my face
The friction and retching
Pulling all my insides outside

Pull out that box of old news
And play old tapes and memories
Wishing I could catapult all this me
Into wherever you are
This feels so great the water pouring over me
How many days can I salvage
With thoughts and remnants
Of what shouldn’t have ever been.