Your father breaking down your bedroom door
Looking for me and you
On the bed we make love six counties away
And you and I
Get our asses out of the hotel
Faster than he could climb those stairs
Knowing you could always feel his presence
For miles away
Next day we’re eating over eight tracks playing
And watching ‘70’s porn with the sound turned off
You poke and look through
The old ashtray
For butts long enough to smoke
I watched your eyes close
And you lay your head on my shoulder
And I take the last drag of what you salvaged
You feel safe with me holding you strong and barely
I know I am still sick but better off with you
Than in that hospital my parents put me
In the end we all get ours and they get theirs
The life of recovery and uprooting false family trees
Has been worthwhile with you.
I don’t know what the rest of the assholes in the world are doing
But I just need you next to whatever is left of me for the rest of all of we.
