I don’t need rehearsed words
you’ve said before
To past ones who’ve knelt at yr bedside
I must let you go
For my words you hold dear
Will fail me someday
Here is my hand
The one I cut with
Here is my ego
I’ve never been much for pretension
A single sigh
Was all it took
For me to reach for this knife.
I don’t remember inside jokes
Or your finger prints
That struck with beauty
Last time I felt this way
I shined my light down the corridor
And slipped into myself for years.
I am alive
Or at least not dead
This scent left me
Weeping for a lack
A misplaced locket
I will renege on us.
Like you said
I am the one that loves no one.
******************************************
I will pocket all this pain
Take it with me
To the bathroom
Say a prayer to whomever
And choke down whatever’s left
Of youth and insecurity.
I’ve been hidden in yr autumn eyes
For 4 months going on 3 years
Lost in the state of dismay and amazement
We know we have more than nothing.
And something more than anything.
So will you cry
When I lack
A certain way that seemed perfect
From so far away?
Or will you run
When I become
Something far less
That what I sold you
from this far away?
A smile is only as bright as the onlookers gaze.
