Thursday, September 14, 2006

oh, kay?

I don’t want to cry when you fall
But the distance can’t make me safe
When I can’t hold you close and kiss your knee.
Here is the day
You called and wished I could pick you up
Thirteen hours away from you
I wish I could come downtown
Walk you to class
Carry your bag and hand
As we walked thru Chelsea.

I just want to see
Your face when I am driving by to pick you up
I just want to see
Your face when you step out of class and while i am waiting.

But I don’t know how time does this to me
When I look at a photograph from just weeks ago
I spend so much time inside of you while you are away
That I sometimes don’t know the difference when you are here
Except you're not here to hold onto.

And I don’t think I am being honest with myself
I am just hanging on some pretty silly ideals
To help foster the notion
That I am doing ok when I can’t be there for you.

Well I am not ok.